Last January, I was invited to the wedding shower of my cousin. The bride-to-be chose a very expensive and fancy boutique restaurant downtown for her venue. There was no available parking on the street, so I was forced to walk five blocks in the freezing cold and snow. The temperature was down to twenty-eight degrees, with at least three inches of snow and ice on the ground, and I was wearing a dress and heels. By the time I carried her heavy present all the way to the restaurant, my feet were wet, and I was shivering. I was anxious to get inside the heated restaurant. Unfortunately, someone thought a fire would provide the perfect ambience for the shower, but forgot to open the flue on the fireplace. The venue then filled with smoke, forcing the owner to open the windows and doors for ventilation. With outside air coming in, the owner was unwilling to operate the heating system and waste energy. There was only the fire for warmth, and a steady draft from outside. We all left our coats on and huddled as close to the fire as possible. There was no way to feel comfortable without a working heating system. I ended up smelling of smoke, with a terrible headache. I only stayed for as long as I needed to be polite. I quickly walked the five blocks back to my car, and cranked the heater at maximum capacity. I was relieved to arrive home, where I could bump up the thermostat, change into dry socks, and finally enjoy some heat.