A few years ago, we got rid of the ancient heating system installed in our basement.

The system was so old that it was gigantic, corroded and linked to holes cut into the floor of the house.

There were small vents around the perimeter of the rooms and a giant hole in the very center of the living room. It was covered by a metal grate that often became dangerously hot. My kids frequently lost toys through the metal grate, and I worried over them getting burned. Because of the age of the house, we have no duct system. Figuring out an effective and convenient way to heat the home has been a constant issue. When we tore out the old heating equipment, we decided to install a natural gas fireplace. The fireplace provides heat and improves aesthetics. It simulates a wood burning fire with none of the drawbacks. Instead of dragging dirty logs across the rug and attempting to get a fire started, we simply operate the heater through a cordless remote. There’s no fumes, ashes or sparks, and it’s very easy to adjust fan speed or raise or lower temperature. The gas fireplace is safe, quiet, and wonderfully energy efficient. It spreads the heat quite evenly throughout the living room. Unfortunately, it doesn’t handle the heating needs of the entire home. We’re still relying on a ventless gas heater in the kitchen and an older Moore gas heater in the upstairs. Although I’ve looked into all different types of whole-home heating options, they are either too expensive or too invasive to install.

a/c workman